EJF works to combat Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing through gathering evidence on illegal fishing activities. This information informs the campaigning work to improve transparency and global fisheries governance.
Alongside gathering evidence in the field of potential illegal vessels, EJF's team in London undertakes desk-based investigations into both individual IUU vessels and trends of illegal fishing.
Successful applications will be:
- Organised: Able to manage time efficiently and deal with several projects concurrently
- Interested and knowledgeable: Though a background in fisheries is not required, the applicants should have a demonstrable interest and engagement in environmental or human rights issues.
- Able to conduct research: EJF’s investigative and campaigning works include a large amount of desk-based research.
- Eager to learn: The first weeks of the internship will be a structured period of training in EJF's methods.
- IT literate: EJF uses a range of software to undertake its work in this area.
- Motivated: This internship will be structured to provide the skills needed to progress in the sector.
- Knowledge of a foreign language (particularly French or Spanish) desirable.
Candidates are required to volunteer three days a week.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a CV and detailed covering letter explaining why they are the right person for this role to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is Friday 31 May.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Location and expenses
The volunteer will work from the EJF London office, located in Clerkenwell.
This is an unpaid placement. Travel within London (Zones 1 – 4) and daily lunch expenses will be covered.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.